Saturday 3 October 2015

Cabin update and conkers

Well as you guys know the cabin had a few pieces missing and damaged when it arrived last week. James left a message last Friday and called all day Monday, never getting through to anyone who could help. Endless messages were passed on with the promise of a call back but alas it never came. Tuesday dawned and James was starting to lose his rag. I gave him a quick ring whilst eating my lunch and offered to ring the company. I maintain that it was just my good luck to have got someone who left my message with someone on the right team, but I managed to get someone who knew what day it was and could probably write his name! After a few stern words as to poor customer service and some worried scrabbling his end trying to find the delivery note with damages marked he promised to deliver the remainder on Friday morning. James laughingly said he knew if he got onto the right person he'd get somewhere, he just didn't know the right person was me.

Friday came and so did the delivery, yippee. Unfortunately the driver from the previous week was a moron and put the wrong damaged part numbers down so the pieces delivered weren't what we needed. I've emailed the guy I spoke to on Tuesday so fingers crossed for the right pieces this week.

On to happier things. Anyone who has had kids will know the pure joy of Autumn conker hunts. At the top of our lane is a beautiful horse chestnut and we've been doing the same route dog walking for the last few weeks. All of a sudden the conkers are dropping and wee man is having a field day filling his pockets. We had to go and do some shopping today and as we were pulling out of a country lane I spotted a glorious bounty, thousands of huge dropped conkers. James spotted me while I dived out and grabbed as many as I could fit into two hands. Wee man was in seventh heaven when I piled them in his lap and they kept him happy all the way home. So now our house is teeming with conkers, I'm afraid some may have to start disappearing ;-)

As pay day has just been I've also ordered a fire guard; baby girl is obsessed with the wood burner and we've not been able to light it for fear of an accident. Little man was never interested in it but then he was a year older than she is when we came here and understood the meaning of no. I'm not sure baby girl will ever understand it as well as him, she cops a deaf ear to me a lot more than he ever has, cheeky madam.



Today whilst shopping I bought some wood preserver for the cabin and started looking at paint colours online. I spent hours looking at similar shades and to be honest there is too much choice. I ordered some paint chips so we can see them in real life,  a screen colour can be misleading.

This week Blossom left her babies for the first time and has started assimilating back in with the other girls. She's bottom of the pecking order so it's hard watching her being ignored. The babies are still sticking together but are getting really big. I still can't tell the sex but I think there are two boys and two girls. One of the girls seems to have some funky head feathers which makes us laugh.




We're off to a kids party with our friends tomorrow so that'll take most of the day. I'll let you know what the cabin company say about the cabin this week.

7 comments:

  1. My daughter's pet squirrel is named Conkers. I thought it was a strange name and she told me it is the name of a squirrel in a British video game my son likes. I had no idea it meant nuts.

    You and your husband have the patience of saints, putting up with all that run around over the cabin parts. I know you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but the veins would be pulsing on my forehead by now. I hope they finally get it straight.

    Your place is sure coming along nicely. Looks so cheery and homey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't dawn on me that anyone wouldn't have seen conkers. I'll have to take a picture to show you. You're right about catching flies, although in general James is the sugar and I'm the vinegar!

      Delete
  2. That's true teamwork! Well done on making some progress toward getting your cabin problem straightened out. Sounds like they ought to fire that driver.

    Your little chickens are so cute. Mamas always seem to have to fight for their new place in the pecking order. Babies are automatically at the bottom. Chickens are so interesting to observe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing aren't they Leigh. I hate it when a chicken is picked on but I know that's nature. Cabin is all sorted now, we think. We'll see when we build it if it's all there.

      Delete
  3. I do hope you get your damaged cabin parts delivered soon.......and your fire and hearth look lovely. Most of the houses here in our area of France have huge fire places as well, but ours had tumbled down into the rubble by the time we arrived here. We have not replaced them, as to copy the originals would no look authentic.

    I remember playing conkers as a child, and then teaching my children to play conkers, and now they are adults (all now over forty) and hopefully teaching their children to play with conkers! My, but how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember playing conkers in the playground. We've not taught him to play yet, the collecting is the best part. You should have seen the bag we collected this evening, very impressive.

      Delete
  4. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. Heroic Adventures

    ReplyDelete