Friday, 16 January 2015

Kitchen update

We're still working in the kitchen in the evenings and today I thought I'd take some pictures of the work so far. We have all of the base units in and doors hung. Just one unit that needs the knob moved as it was originally a wall unit. The units have been filled with all my junk valuable cooking implements and considering there are more units than before I still only just fitted it all in, what's that all about? Well it may have something to do with the fact I can actually get at it all now it's been re-arranged. We also got the worktops on and finished. 

Next job is to hang some wall units. As you can see we've got a low cottage ceiling and the wooden beams interfere with where you would normally put units. We can put a few on the opposite wall and some over the sink which is in a bit of an odd add on extension and hence a bit taller.

Run of new units (sorry about dodgy angle,
I didn't want you to see the mess on the
kitchen table!)

We moved my narrow dresser to the opposite side of the Rayburn to free up a bit of space for our new units as the old kitchen only ran along the other side of the room. 

I tried some new coal out from a friend the other day on the woodburner and unlike the other bags I had before it actually burns! This has led me to think about trying to get the Rayburn working again. We had a go last year when we first moved in. I had the chimney swept and the Rayburn serviced and no matter what I did I couldn't get the cooker to stay even vaguely warm. After quite a few goes I gave up thinking I just didn't have the knack. I tried to burn the coal I bought for the Rayburn on the burner this winter and it pretty much smothered the fire. Anyway bringing the ramblings to a close I thought if the new coal burns well on the burner I may get it to burn well in the Rayburn. As you can see my Rayburn is somewhat of a decorative piece and I'm not sure where the knickknacks will go but if I can get it working I'll feel I've beaten an old foe.

We also need to put on the plinth to the base units and tile the splash back but then we'll be pretty much there.

Sounds easier than it'll be no doubt but I'm excited to get it done. 

I'm not sure how long the kitchen will be in as we're still waiting for our planning appeal to be looked at (after over 6 months when they said it would take 6 weeks!!!) but at least now it's clean and functional. Thanks to my fab husband for all his hard work xxx

1 comment:

  1. ack! it's soooo beautiful! i have a tiny kitchen...and there was no storage until my husband built some "quick and dirty" storage areas. we are planning for an addition on our kitchen and hope that we do not have to go through what you went through. but your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! congrats on all of the hard work!