Tuesday 22 May 2018

Further land clearances and the duck hotel

Another packed couple of weekends. 

We got the wee man a single bed as his legs were starting to poke out the end. As with all things IKEA, it took us most of the afternoon to put together!



James put up my oil lamp in the hallway, I'm so pleased with it and it reminds me of my holiday every time I pass. It's all looking smart now the woodwork is done.




We also did some upgrades to the compost bins that we built a few months ago. The chickens are always in there turning over the waste, but most of it ended up all over the floor. Now we've put in a front that can be taken out when access is needed to the compost. Hopefully we'll get a bit more now.




This weekend our digger driver came over and cleared some more trees and bushes from the land. We built a huge bonfire and burned all the brambles and decaying wood we could find. He also brought the plough round to disturb all the bramble roots, which we've been collecting up for burning. Next plan is he'll bring over his big rotavator type attachment and it should all ready for seeding.





I thought that picking grass would be easy but there are so many choices. I don't want to be mowing all the time, especially with our mower but the meadow mixes are so expensive I can't justify paying ten times as much. I'll just have to think about it this week a bit more.

We've also been duck rescue for our neighbour up the road. Her ducks have been getting a virus and dropping like flies. Sh'ed had a mum sitting and the ducklings had been kept separate from the flock. She asked if we would take them for 10 days to keep them out of harms way. So long as they're well at the end then they'll be going to a new home. Unfortunately as her other ducks are carriers they're not safe to go home. The girls have been very good giving up their home but they don't like having to stay in the pen with them all day. They're too spoilt!


2 comments:

  1. I like the compost bins. Why don't you grow a crop like swedes before you put the field down to grass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ikea furniture...mostly because I have an husband who is good at putting things together!!! Beds, sofa, dressers, chairs...

    ReplyDelete