Sunday, 20 March 2016

Making the final decision on the builder.

I think we're at the point where we are ready to make a final decision on the builder to build the extension. It's been a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest. Having asked about six builders to quote, all recommend through friends, we've only got two people who actually managed to put a quote together. That's not ideal but I don't want to start asking people who weren't recommended to us to quote, it's so difficult to know what you're going to get with tradesmen as it is. 

One quote is considerably more expensive than the other (10k more), so the cheaper one it is. Once we give the go ahead the work should start about a month later than that, eeek! I'm starting to get nervous about the scale of the disruption and the costs involved, but onwards and upwards I suppose.


  1. Best of luck with your building work, I am dreading when we start, I am not having any extensions done until Martin is here full time been through it once and I am not looking forward to going through it again

  2. Make sure you have a late finish clause in your contract. Our builder walked away from the job for 3 months to take on another job. He pays you so much money for every day late over bid finish date. Take the contract to attorney. Believe me, I speak from experience. Also, all changes must be approved by you in writing.

  3. Hope the renovation goes well.....Remember that it will be worth all the disruption in the end!