Sunday 20 January 2019

Operation chicken moving day complete

We've been meaning to move the chicken enclosure for ages and when I say ages I mean almost 4 years!



When we went to Malta we quickly out up Heras fencing in the front garden as we'd lost a few chooks to the fox. It was going to be moved on our return and as always happens to a temporary fix, it became permanent.

Today dawned bright (well grey and cold) and we didn't have any work to complete in the extension before the carpenter comes in about 8 days, so we decided to put our minds to this long awaited job.

The picture post demolition doesn't do the mess justice. The mire that was once grass is full of big eroded holes that have led to more than one swearing fit when an ankle is twisted. The rats that burrow under the coop have left network of tunnels and the fact that the grass hasn't been mowed seems to have led to the mysterious phenomenon of hillocks appearing.

We've picked a space at the back end of the field where there is a little shelter from the summer heat and winter rain and we proceeded to re-reect the fence.

Now it led to James smashing his finger with the sledge hammer, me taking over and giving myself a black nail; it was like a bad comedy show.


The chickens having been lured to the new area with corn then flat out refused to retire there for the night and hung around the somme like area they previously inhabited and refused to be caught. We had to bring the mite infested coop out of retirement to capture them and then one by one move them to their normal coops. Suffice to say they will not be let out for the next week to acclimatise to the new location.


After a few hours of throbbing all through my hand and into my arm, James finally persuaded me and burned a hole through my nail. Blood shot out like a bullet, more than I would have imagined could have been trapped in so small a space, but the relief is amazing. Unfortunately his blood blister is under the skin so not really much point popping it as he won't get the relief. We will put the netting back on later in the week, but after injuries we thought better of anything else today and I retired to watch the new series of Star Trek and a glass of wine.


2 comments:

  1. We got rid of our ducks and hens because every morning I would let them out and the rats would be with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many a black nail here when I was an apprentice. I drilled the nail once, felt amazing once it was done!

    ReplyDelete