Saturday 10 September 2016

Croft Castle - Battle re-enactment

Tomorrow is a special day, the wee man's 5th birthday and today we took him on a special day out to Croft castle. It's a national trust site and as we're members we can go as often as we like. 

This weekend is a living history weekend for the battle of Mortimer's Cross in 1461, one of the battles of the wars of the roses. 

Both the children had a fantastic time visiting the castle, watching the battle re-enactment, walking round the camp, watching dancing, trying on costumes and holding weapons and watching a gun display. They even got to hold a ferret! 

The little man got to choose a present for his birthday and he chose a bow with a quiver of arrows. What a refreshing change it was to forget about working at home and just enjoy their company.

I'll confess here that one thing I have always wanted to do is living history re-enactments, perhaps when the kids are older and we have more time I'll get to dress up and sit round campfires with fellow history addicts.













6 comments:

  1. Now that looks a fun day out, much better than a theme park I think, far more educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a living history weekend. Education for all ages and it looks very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun time. We have historic reinactments around here but no castles :-(
    I know what you mean about taking a break from working all the time. We have the main level finished, as you know, and sometimes I have to figure out what to do with myself! I'm losing, or have lost, interest in some of the things I used to do before building. (sigh)
    Happy Birthday little one!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my brothers and my brother in law were big Civil War reenactors when they were younger. In fact, if you have ever seen the movie "Dances with Wolves" or "Gettysburg" you have seen them because they were in brief shots.

    I'm glad your kids got to hold the ferret. I think they are the best pet a person can have, although they are more "adult" pets than for little kids because some of them do bite!

    I'm glad you got a break from your labors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, the re-enactment was so much fun, one day when I have more time I'll subject the kids to more 'education' in the form of dressing up and living in the past.

    ReplyDelete